Our history

Training On Wards 2

King's has been a training hospital since it was established in central London in 1840. It has gone from strength to strength following its move to Camberwell 100 years ago, becoming the major hospital in the area and respected for both its medicine and teaching.

Our PGMDE department has a long history of high quality-education, training programmes and continuing professional development (CPD) which support trainees from medical school and beyond their consultant appointment as trainers. Since 2008 the MBBS office has been part of PGMDE, which has strengthened the link between undergraduate and postgraduate training. Following the aquisition in October 2013 of the Princess Royal Hospital, Bromley along with Orpington Hospital, the PGMDE now covers the expanded organisation. 

Lead Provider

In 2010 we embarked on a journey with the  London Deanery to seek approval as lead provider through the new Medical and Dental Education Commissioning System (MDECS). In 2011, we became lead provider for core medical training across south-east London. In 2012 we were successful for the following specialties:

In 2014, the MDECS process completed with King's being given approval as lead provider for 15 specialities in total. 

The Lead Provider contracts for the management of Postgraduate Medical & Dental Education are ending between August and October 2017.

For further information from the London Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education site, please click here